With the Village Hall closed to the public effective, Tuesday, 3/17/2020, the following changes will be implemented in the Planning & Development Services Department through 4/30/2020.
- The PDS Department will be accepting building permit applications for review during the next few weeks. Please drop off paper applications, with all of the appropriate attachments in the water payment drop box located in the Village Hall parking lot. If larger rolled plans need to be submitted for permit review, a temporary blue recycling bin is located outside the front doors of Village Hall. The drop box and recycling bin will be checked several times during the day.
- Electronic residential permit applications will also be accepted during this time period. The Building Division’s webpage has the following fillable forms: Residential Permit Application and Commercial/Industrial Permit Applications. The Building Permit Application should be downloaded, completed and then saved. Once the document has been saved, please scan and attach any other accompanying information and email it to email@example.com.
- Please note: Only PDFs will be accepted and if the attachment contains multiple pages, a multi-page PDF should then be utilized.
- Depending on the size and complexity of a Commercial Permit Application, electronic submissions of these documents may also be available. Please contact the Planning & Development Services Department at 630-540-5920 or 630.540.5940 so that we may guide you on how to proceed.
- If you know your permit fee, please attach a check with the permit application form and clearly mark the envelope and the check for the Building Division. All checks should be placed in the water payment drop box located in the Village Hall parking lot.The Village is unable to accept credit card payments over the phone. Please contact the Planning & Development Department at 630.540.5920 if you do not know your permit fee.
- Once reviewed, approved and a payment has been received, a Permit will be emailed to the applicant. Please print the permit and post on your construction site or place in the front window/ door.
Stamped Approved Plans
- If approved plans are required to be at the construction site, please contact the Planning & Development Department at 630.540.5920 so that accommodations can be made.
- At this time, the Village is scheduling only essential inspections. If you, your employees or family members are sick or have any symptoms of the virus, please cancel any scheduled inspections. Keep in mind that adjustments may be made to inspections as the situation and circumstances change.
Certificates of Occupancy
- Hard copies of Certificates of Occupancy will not be provided during this time. Staff will email you a copy of your Certificate of Occupancy when it is ready.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Roberta Grill, Planning & Development Services Director
Brian Goralski, Building Director
Planning & Development Services Director: Roberta Grill
Building Director: Brian Goralski
The Planning & Development Services Department consists of Planning & Zoning; Building; and Code Enforcement.
Planning & Zoning Division -- staff in this divisionare responsible for residential, commercial, and industrial development projects, site plan reviews and comprehensive planning. They also enforce subdivision, zoning, and sign ordinances and issues permits for signs.
Building Division -- The Building Division provides safety inspections and regulations for all phases of construction in the Village. Staff enforces the provisions of adopted codes and issues permits for all building activities from decks, pools and driveways, to new commercial, existing commercial and residential buildings. The issuance of permits includes the review of all plans and specifications for Village code compliance, as well as the inspection of all phases of construction to assure that building and fire regulations are being met to protect the safety, health, and welfare of residents.
In addition, the Building Department, along with the fire district, conducts annual business life safety inspections. The department maintains records of all building-related issues and responds to questions about drainage and/or concerns presented by builders, attorneys, engineers, and citizens.The Building Department director is the insurance service officer for the Village and provide flood information to mortgage companies and realtors.
Code Enforcement Division -- Two full-time code enforcement officers are responsible for educating residents in property maintenance and enforcing health and safety ordinances in the Village. They also issue permits for amplifiers and home-based businesses (home occupations).
The Planning & Development Services Department also provides staff support to the Village Board, Plan Commission, and the Zoning Board of Appeals.