Fast Facts About the 2020 Census
Did You Know?
...the Decennial Census, also known as the Population and Housing Census, is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution and takes place every 10 years. Here are some fast facts about the 2020 Census:
• Not only does the census count people, it has to know where they live so it can provide accurate population numbers for counties, states, municipalities, etc. These numbers are used to draw voting districts and determine your representation in Congress.
• Census data, collected every 10 years, helps communities receive funding from the federal government and determines how those funds are allocated for services, such as Medicare, Medicaid, social security, public transportation and education.
▪ Communities use census information to plan for public safety and emergency preparedness, to draw school district boundaries and build new schools and to make decisions about community services.
▪ Businesses use census data to decide where to put a store, office or factory. These new locations create jobs and support the community’s economy.
▪ Real estate developers use census data to decide where to build new homes and revitalize neighborhoods.
The 2020 Census will begin in March and will use a new design that incorporates online and phone response options in addition to the traditional paper option. The online response option allows people to respond on their desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, or tablets.
Please help ensure that you and your family members are counted in the Village of Bartlett by quickly responding to your mailed census invitation. Learn more at 2020census.gov.